Recipe: Mini-Pancakes (Bánh Khọt / Banh Căn)
Mini-Pancakes (Bánh Khọt / Banh Căn)
By Helen Le Published: May 9, 2014
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 50 mins
- Yield: 50-60 pieces (4-6 Servings)
The mini pancakes are made with a unique pan that looks like a thick cupcake pan. The pan holds the banh khot as they fry in oil. Banh khot is a great street treat for a snack or light meal.
- 500 g shrimps peeled and deveined
- *For the batter*
- 370 g rice flour 2 1/3 cup
- 30 g corn starch 1/4 cup
- 330 ml beer or club soda
- 420 ml water
- 150 g left-over cooked rice (1 cup), blended
- 240 ml coconut milk 1 cup
- 1 tsp tumeric powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- *For serving*
- scallion oil
- Fresh greens: mustard leaves, mint, corriander, etc.
- picked daikon and carrots or pickled green papaya
- Light dipping fish sauce “nuoc cham”
- vegetable oil to fry
- Blend the left-over cooked rice with coconut milk. Combine with the rest of the ingredients for the batter: flour, tumeric powder, salt, beer and water. Stir well to get a smooth batter and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Heat genenous amount of vegetable oil in a mini-pancake pan. Pour the batter into the pan. Add a shimp on top each mini-pancake. Cover the lid and fry for 3-5 minutes on medium heat. When they turn golden brown, remove and place on paper towel to remove the excess oil.
- Add scallion oil on top each pancake. To serve, take a piece of mustard green leaf, roll the mini-pancake together with herbs and pickles. Dip in the sauce and enjoy.
- Xay 1 chén cơm nguội + 1 chén nước cốt dừa. Trộn chung với bột, nước, bia, muối, bột nghệ. Quậy đều và để 30 phút cho bột nở.
- Muốn bánh giòn phải cho rất nhiều dầu. Dầu nóng, đổ bột vào khuôn, cho con tôm lên trên. Đậy nắp chiên vàng ở lửa vừa. Bánh vàng giòn vớt ra để lên giấy ăn cho thấm bớt dầu.
- Cho mỡ hành lên trên. Ăn với cải xanh, rau thơm, đồ chua, chấm nước mắm.
Dipping sauce recipe: http://youtu.be/OrUZzchXGzo
Post By Helen Le (279 Posts)
Since 2011 Helen has shared her Vietnamese home cooking video recipes on Youtube, helping viewers cook Vietnamese Food in the easiest, fastest and most authentic way possible. Subscribe to receive her newest videos for FREE: http://goo.gl/upfRRU
Website: → Danang Cuisine